Knowledge of Antioxidants as Part of Anti-aging Treatment has been Handed Down to Us Over Generations
So for example, Chinese people use herbal medicine to cure and treat illnesses, improve metabolism and enhance our health. Whereas in India and other parts of the world, herbs are combined with their food to seek similar results as that of the Chinese people.
What Do Free Radicals Do To Our Body?
- Promotes Cell Oxidation
Our body cells’ birth, death and rebirth happen 24 hours a day. It is a natural process that is vital in keeping our body healthy. Oxygen interacts with just any type of cells, much more so our body cells. This process is called oxidation and it happens naturally during normal cellular functions. Oxidation can be very damaging to our body. As our body metabolizes oxygen, cells become damaged in the process and that’s when it is turned into free radicals.
- Creates Cell Imbalance
The relationship between free radicals and antioxidants are like two countries in war. Free radicals take electrons as they please and just like a chain, every free radical takes any electron and the molecules with missing number of electrons turns around and do the same thing to its co-molecules. Such chain reaction goes on, until antioxidants enters the body and suspend this chain and preventing it from staring again.
- Weaken the Immune System
External factors like smoking, excessive alcohol intake, stress and sunlight are among the common contributors of free radicals to our system. Free radicals can overwhelm our body’s immune system then causing severe damage to our body cell which may expose the body to various chronic illnesses or common diseases. Free radicals also cause early signs of aging such as dry flaky skin, wrinkles, fine line which is visible in our skin.
How do antioxidants protect our body?
- Go against free radicals and neutralize them until they become stable. Antioxidants are said to be unstable once they neutralize free radicals. So it is very important to replenish them daily.
- Prevent the oxidation of molecules and obstruct the damaging chain reaction caused by free radicals.
- Prevents the skin aging effects of free radicals in our bodies.
- Prevents the development of chronic illnesses like, cancer, heart diseases and diabetes.
What are the forms antioxidants?
- Antioxidants are present in fruits and vegetables. The most common antioxidant is vitamins C and E.
- Antioxidants may also come in capsule, tablet, syrups, and other forms of oral supplements.
- There is a large number of food containing antioxidants, examples are coffee and berries.
- Antioxidants also come in creams and liquid forms like those used in skin care products.
On top of antioxidants characteristics being an effective defense in illnesses, it is also an effective element in anti-aging treatments. Taking in enough supply of antioxidants is an effective way to look and feel young inside and out.